720 Bourke Street Docklands Combining the Medibank Integrated Fitout
The 720 Bourke Street project is constructed on a wedge of land adjacent to the Etihad Stadium bound by Bourke Street and Wurundjeri Way. The project comprises an architecturally significant building providing the gateway to Docklands from the Southern Cross Station.
It is an 18 level commercial tower with the anchor tenant Medibank occupying 10 of the floors. The work undertaken by Ion on this project included the Medibank integrated fitout for the electrical and communications services.
Total Value: $15,000,000
Project Duration: 22 months
Expected Peak: 70 employees
An overview of the services installed as follows:
- All tenancy, proprietors and plant room distribution boards and/or other distribution board complete with metering and surge protection.
- All sub-mains cables to all switchboards, including mechanical switchboards, hydraulic switchboards, fire protection services switchboards, security control panels and the lift control panels and un-metered sub mains for tenancy and retail areas.
- All cable support systems, including cable ladders, trays and conduit to support all submain and subcircuit cabling.
- A complete earthing system all electrical, standby power generators, gas fired generator, communications, security monitoring systems and lightning protection systems.
- A complete lightning protection system to comply with AS1768 including co- ordination with structural services and relevant trades associated with building elements forming part of the system.
- A complete lighting system for all areas of the building including tenancy floors, public areas, toilets, lift lobbies, back of house areas, plant rooms, riser rooms, store rooms, etc. including all circuit protection and sub circuit cabling.
- A Dynalite centrally controlled DALI addressable lighting control system including local switching for the control of all the external and internal public area lighting and for each office tenancy, complete with head end PC and software and motion and light level sensors
- A complete Clevertronics Zoneworks monitored emergency and exit lighting system inclusive of monitoring PCs and associated hardware and software.
- A complete central MATV system for digital and satellite television reception and AM/FM radio broadcast and in-house signal with capacity for extension to serve tenancy areas on every floor
- An MTU gas fired Tri-generation system including an 800kW prime rated internal combustion reciprocating natural gas generator. Series reactors have been installed into the tri-generation system to Citipower requirements, to allow paralleling / synchronizing with the mains supply grid.
- An MTU standby power generation system comprising 2-off air cooled 2250kVA standby rated diesel generators located on Level 18.
- A 50kVA UPS system to suit demand configured in N topology, complete with 20 minutes battery autonomy (10 year design life.
- Communications block cabling system including necessary support systems for incoming cables. All Building Distributors (BD‟s), and Floor Distributors (FD‟s). All works in accordance with Telstra‟s installation
- A complete 4G SISO (Single In Single Out) mobile telephone Distributed Antennae System (DAS) has been installed throughout the building.
- Building fibre and copper backbone cabling system.
- Digital signage endpoints comprising of flat panel displays and digital signage players connected to the WEB. The digital signage players are configured to download and display content from the BAS and a data server provided by Medibank.
An Excerpt from The Australian National Construction Major Project Review:
Established in 2009, Ion has successfully evolved to become a market leader in electrical contracting and maintenance works within Australia.
Just recently Ion have completed the electrical installation at the 720 Bourke Street Docklands project: a CBUS development.
The Ion scope of works on this highly sustainable development included Design and Construct of the electrical and communications infrastructure. This included all lighting and Dynalite DALI lighting control system. Ion relied on their extensive knowledge to undertake the installation of 2 x 2250 kva standby generators for full power backup of the entire building, an 800 kwatt Tri Generation plant and 40kw solar installation. More than 75 staff were involved with this project and completed the project within budget and the scheduled completion date.
Ion is supported by a fantastic group of talented and committed staff who are dedicated to providing the quality service that Ion is renowned for. The company also focuses on ensuring all projects are completed to deadline and within budget.
The solutions provided to their clients are always centered on a holistic approach whilst providing innovation and environmentally sustainable outcomes.
Ion has also been carrying out work on the following projects:
- Pheonix Apartments
- The Grand Apartments South Bank
- La Trobe Health Science Bendigo Campus
- La Trobe Student Accommodation
- Dandenong Hospital
Ion has worked on some of Australia’s largest construction management projects and are capable of delivering their services on developments of all scales.
The management team at Ion believes in working closely with their clients and understanding their vision. The company is particularly focused on providing a safe work environment along with educating and building quality staff.